Tuesday, July 8, 2008

We have an ETA on the Boy!

Induction is scheduled to begin July 30th. Wah-hoooooo!!!!! This is assuming Alexander isn’t twirling his invisible mustache right now and secretly planning a surprise. The doctor said it could take a couple days of labor before the actual delivery happens. Niiice. So the boy will probably arrive on July 31st or August 1st.

The doctor was explaining to me what I could expect. In addition to two separate labor-inducing drugs, I will be put on a “nasty drug” called Magnesium Sulfate. Yes, those quotation marks do reflect a direct quote from my doctor. Not the words I wanted to hear, but I appreciate that she wasn’t sugar-coating things… like when a dentist tells you ‘you may feel a tickle’ as they start up the drill and immediately strike a nerve. *shaking fist in general direction of local dentist’s office*

Anyway, this drug is to prevent seizures, which is a risk for pre-eclamptic preggosauruses such as myself. Reducing the risk of seizures is obviously a good thing, but this drug has some unfortunate side effects like vomiting, muscle weakness, overheating and severe headache. Good times! I’ll have to stay on it throughout labor and for 24 hours after delivery. I feel most sorry for my labor coaches (Tim and mom)… not only will I be whining over labor pains, I’ll also be wrecked on this anti-seizure drug. I’m sure they’ll be fighting over the privilege to hold the puke bucket. I can already sense that I’ll need to send them both an FTD I’m Sorry Bouquet™ when this is all done.

Well, however the boy arrives into this world doesn’t really matter. Just as long as he gets here safely. Still, my hippie dreams of having a totally natural drug-free childbirth have gone to pot (so to speak). I can still, of course, refuse an epidural or pain meds… but my doctor urged me to keep an open mind about things and reminded me that induced labors tend to be both longer and more painful than labors that start on their own. I called her “Dr. HippieDreamCrusher”, threw my pee jug at her and left. (There’s yet another FTD I’m Sorry Bouquet ™ I need to order.)






PS- the Molly Maids are here right now! They are my new best friends.

No comments: