Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Tim’s World

As you can imagine, I spend many hours a week in the doctor’s office. The office visits are seriously a part-time job in themselves as they can take several hours each, and they are often placed right in the middle of the day so as to ensure maximum inconvenience. Tim’s really gone to more appointments than the average dad, and met all the doctor’s at the practice … so he’s already earned his kick-butt Dad-to-Be stripes. Since my appointment schedule has gone into overdrive, Tim doesn’t usually go with me so that he can go about building his (evil) audio and video empire.

We have a role reversal today, though, as Tim is going to an appointment and I am staying home. No, they aren’t slathering his belly with goo and strapping him down with various monitoring devices (as far as I know). He is actually out interviewing our potential pediatrician right now.

I picked the pediatrician because she is down the hall from our family doctor, and in her bio she said she had two grade-school age kids and a Labrador Retriever. OK, it was the lab that really tipped the scales for me. Someone with an outstanding dog must also be an outstanding doctor. It was hard to come up with good questions… but I knew we were supposed go in with questions ready. At first, all I could come up with is…
(1) So… you like kids?
(2) How is your dog?
(3) Did you ever see that one episode of Seinfield where the pediatrician referred to both an ugly baby and Elaine as breathtaking? It was funny.

But thanks to a consultation with Dr. Google, Tim and I came up with some better ones. So Tim is grilling the doctor with questions right now, and hopefully making good use of that extra bright interrogation light I sent along with him. The thing is, I am sure we’ll use her unless Tim comes home and says she is just way too twitchy.

When he's not out playing 'good cop/bad cop' with the interrogation light, Tim has been keeping really busy with his audio/video empire building work. He spent most of yesterday “making sibilance” into each of his gazillion microphones. It’s for some… thing… with a compressor… and… this guy…??? I don’t know. I try really hard to understand audio engineering stuff, but I get confused and inevitably get the story completely wrong. I really do try, though. I just don’t have the techie brain for it so everything he says about compressors and preamps and patchbays and buses barely manages to get into my ears before my brain scrambles it into the sound of Charlie Brown’s teacher (“wha-wha-whant-wha-whan”)

In addition to the studio building stuff, he’s also been busy working on two video commercial projects, as well as a music video for a neighbor. So he’s been bringing home some fine bacon.

And that is Tim’s World…as far as I can tell. Actual “Tim World” may vary.

No comments: