Friday, July 25, 2008

Dr. Gobbles Strikes Again

I had an NST today… but I couldn’t tell you how it went because Dr. Gobbles isn’t one to share information. I also don’t know how the bloodwork and latest pee-jug looked. Dr. Gobbles has a “don’t ask, don’t tell” approach to communicating with patients. Also a “don’t make eye contact, don’t speak at an audible decibel level” approach. When Dr. Gobbles does want to share information, he treats it like lighting a firecracker. He quickly blurts out alarming and confusing statements and then runs for cover. Nice.

I don’t want to sound completely unsympathetic to how he handles what is, I am sure, a very stressful job. And I appreciate that having to look at women’s…um… Georgia O'Keeffes … all day can do strange things to a man’s disposition. But Dr. Gobbles is in serious need of some remedial coursework in bedside manners.

I think he gets away with it because he employs a very disarming look. This is a good strategy for anyone who wants to be a jerk and get away with it. There are many to choose from – confused old man, big-eyed innocent child, slightly injured bunny… Dr. Gobbles has gone with the classic “big teddy bear” look. He’s well over 6 feet tall, 300+ lbs, and covered in hair – including a face-encompassing beard. This could be an imposing look if not for his big bright eyes peering through his facial fur. It sounds strange, but the look works for him.


(file photo of Dr. Gobbles, date unknown)

The other thing that helps him get away with a horrible bedside manner is that women hate to shop around for an OB/GYN. Many will stubbornly stick with the first person they pick off their insurance list just to avoid stirrup-time tryouts with a new physician. Most of us would prefer to keep a very short list of people who have seen us assume such a position…

Alright, I’m done venting. I swear. Hopefully that will be my last time seeing Dr. Gobbles anyway. I have a biophysical tomorrow, so I’ll give all you blogophiles out there an update on the boy’s latest stats then. (Yes, all two of you.)

Only five more days before Alexander is served his eviction notice!!!

No comments: