Monday, June 23, 2008

News From a Reclined Position

The doctors say that the ‘hope’ is to make it to 34 weeks before delivery. (I think I’m about 31 1/2 now.) Everyday, I sing to the baby the montage song from Rocky that goes “Getting stronger! Getting stronger!” I think it motivates him… plus everyone knows that babies love references to movies from the 80’s. I think we'll make it closer to full term, but I can't tell if that is due to my overpowering sense of optimism or denial. So let's just say it's maternal instinct.

Dr. Gobbles seemed to low-ball the bedrest, and another doctor told me last week that I am only allowed to get up to use the bathroom and sit up in bed to eat. I’m supposed to be on my left side as much as possible. I am sitting up right now to type this, but just don’t tell the bedrest police. You can only lay on your left side for so long before the entire left side of your body goes to sleep … which leads to all kinds of hilarities when you try to get up to go to the bathroom.

So far, the baby and I are both doing just fine. I have lots of non-stress tests and ultrasounds to keep track of the baby… and pee and blood test to keep track of me. In fact, I am about to head out for a non-stress test right now. I get strapped down with two stretchy pregnant-lady-sized belts around the belly. One belt monitors the baby’s heart rate, and the other monitors contractions. As it runs, it spits out a graph – which I find very distracting as I am naturally drawn towards data. I am always trying to crane my neck around just enough to read it. Mmmm...instant feedback....

At the start of the test, the nurses always say ‘this will just take about twenty minutes’ – but I think the shortest non-stress test I’ve ever had was just shy of an hour. In fact, I had one of these on Friday and I think they had completely forgotten about me. Fortunately Tim was there keeping me company, so he went out and told the nurses that if I didn’t get unhooked soon I’d have to unhook myself so I could pee. I really love all the nurses at the doctor’s office, but I think they are asked to multi-task far beyond their multi-tasking capabilities. This always results in a pregnant woman getting stranded at the non-stress test machine with an overly inflated bladder that becomes an enticing trampoline for the baby.

Anyway, I’m doing one of those tests today and we’re having another biophysical profile (aka fancy shamnsy ultrasound) on Friday. Oh...and, of course, there will be the good ole’ pee jug to fill on Thursday. Yep… so my date book is full. I hope I haven’t intimidated you all with my newfound glamorous lifestyle and active social calendar. I’m still just regular people.

This was a fun weekend at our house. Harrison came over to go fishing with grandpa and he caught a fish ***THIS BIG***. Here is the picture to prove it – you can see Harrison is giving his celebratory “YES!!”





Also, mom (aka grandma) came over to help paint the nursery. It’s a very cool shade of green and we’ll (er… 'they' will) paint some funky mod squares for a little… how you say?… flare. Babies love flare.




Where was I in all of this, you may ask? I enjoyed watching the backyard fishing channel from a reclined position by the house. As for painting the nursery, I was allowed to do the honorary first paint stroke (it took them hours to cover up my poor artistry) but otherwise I was just barking out suggestions from a reclined position.

Ah… the reclined position. I recommend that you enjoy the reclined position today at your work or home. Now if only I had a man with a giant fan, and another one feeding me grapes. Where can I get those? At Sloth Liquidators Warehouse Emporium?

No comments: