Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Why do the pretty girls always keep you waiting?

OK, you can end the drumroll. Maybe even throw in an anticlimactic horn going "waht-waaaaah".

It’s been a week now, and I’m happy to report that I’m still pregnant! We are continuing to take things one day at a time, and even a light breeze could blow us into the hospital… but for now Ava is still in her womb and I’m still waddling along.

The mini-crisis of last week has simmered down, mostly because Ava has been acing her tests in the doctor’s office. Amniotic fluid is still a concern. It was 6.1 as of yesterday, and evidently 6.0 is the cut-off to deliver. Oh, my babies just LOVE drama in pregnancy. It’s like “As the Womb Turns” in there.



I know “they’ say you should never compare your kids… but in this instance I can’t resist. I was looking back at my data from Alexander’s pregnancy and comparing it to this one. (Whoa… nerd alert. Who keeps pregnancy data??) Alexander had a biophysical at 36 weeks 2 days, Ava had one at 36 weeks 3 days. Let’s compare and contrast…



It should be noted that the vertical axis is scaled for hyperbole, but the data is still real. There’s a big difference between 8 lbs 3 oz (Alexander) and 6 lbs 8 oz (Ava). Ava is going to seem so tiny to us. Since my muscles has been set to “Gigantor Baby” for the last 19 months, my biggest fear is that I’ll fail to recalibrate my arms before picking Ava up. I’ll go to lift her out of the crib and she’ll end up airborne.

Alright. Back to gestating. We’ll keep you posted on Ava’s ETA. For now, all we can say is that it will be sometime between today and mid April.

No comments: