Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Go ahead and start the roll drumroll…

Ava may be making her grand entrance earlier than expected! I did develop very very super duper extra-mild pre-eclampsia, but that’s hardly worth mentioning. (Which is why I mentioned it. Hey, it’s not called “Our Succinct Blog’, people.) OK, I'll try. The short version of the story is that Ava’s amniotic fluid is pretty low (less than 3 AFI for any of you health data nerds out there).

The doctors debated for quite some time about whether they should deliver me today or wait. That’s an interesting conversation to listen to as you are strapped down to a table and half naked in the doctor's office. Of course, I’m not quite full term at 36 weeks and 2 days, so they weren’t sure if they should deliver immediately or let Ava cook a few more days. In the end, they sent me home with instructions to drink lots of water, do regular kick counts, and (they need a rubber stamp for this one and they can just thunk me on the forehead with it at every visit) to “take it easy”.

There will be more tests tomorrow, and every day until delivery, and probably lots more vague advice. All of this means I’ll definitely be having a repeat c-section – which I sort of expected anyway- sometime probably in the next seven days or so. Ava seems especially determined to come into this world via c-section because she is still breech. She must not want to mess up her hair on the way out or something.

More news as it happens…

No comments: