Saturday, April 24, 2010

Lifestyles of the Lactating and Exhausted

(note: that title pretty much guarantees my dad won't want to read this post. Don't worry, dad, I don't really talk about lactating. In fact I won't even use the word 'lactating' anymore. I promise.)



(lactating!)



(sorry... couldn't help it. I'm done. Now for the post...)



For having a 3 week old and a 20-month-old, I gotta say that Tim and I are surprisingly coherent. Really, ew toootlally r cohairent…I reaalie meen GJVGTBNJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHJJJJJJJJJJJJHHHHHHH

Oops. My head just hit the keyboard. It's alright, I'm cool. It's all a normal and natural part of motherhood.

Don't let this F6 embedded in my forehead fool you, I'm really feeling pretty great. Yes, Ava is still nursing (day and night) every other hour – but I don’t feel as tired as such a schedule would lead you to believe. I’m either completely insane and I don’t realize how crazy and out-of-it I am… or I have some of that postpartum adrenaline keeping me all hopped up.

Although anatomical realities have spared Tim from knowing the world of newborn night duty, he has his own reasons for being exhausted. He is our official Bub wrangler…and wild bubs can’t be broken. Alexander continues to be totally enthusiastic about the arrival of his baby sister, “Aba”. Endearingly and dangerously enthusiastic.


Alexander’s latest jokes often involve wearing other people’s shoes, or putting non-footwear items on his feet (boxes, hats, etc.) Here he is walking around the house in Grandma’s shoes:




And here he is putting a bucket on his feet and testing material for his groundbreaking 2028 Comedy Central special:


Being both hilarious and a big brother is exhausting. At the end of the day, Bub likes to chill out in his Fortress of Solitude and watch Elmo.








This weekend we had a visit from my grandma (Bub and Ava’s Great Grandma or “GG”). It was so wonderful to have GG here, and even though she just left twenty minutes ago I already miss her.

I think both Ava and Alexander sufficiently yarred out GG. Ava showed how soundly she could sleep…



And Alexander just batted his insanely long eyelashes.



So that’s our life right now. I’m spending most of my days with my shirt half-off and trying to give sufficient attention to both my wee offspring. Bub’s super excited about his little sister and Tim’s trying to keep Bub from injuring said little sister with aforementioned excitement.


Won’t someone please think of the kitties?

Seriously. Has anyone seen Cow and Bear?

No comments: