Friday, October 16, 2009

Blog Delays Caused By Act of God

Well, Tim and I also had something to do with it.

I haven’t been posting much lately because I’ve been pretty sick for the last couple months. I haven’t been sick with something trendy like Swine Flu, or something retro chic like Black Death, or even something embarrassingly out of style like Mad Cow Disease. No. I’ve been sick the last couple of months because of (this is my John McCain impression) “That One!” (see below)



OK. That picture didn’t really clarify anything. I’m pregnant! The blob in the above picture is Bean, and we’ll get to meet him or her around April 18, 2010. (Bean is the current name placeholder which will hopefully be replaced with a more dignified name soon.) We are, of course beyond thrilled. In fact, I’m so excited I could puke. Ug… excuse me.



*sound of toilet flushing*



Right. I’m back. So, yeah, I’ve been sick - down with the hardcore and questionably named morning sickness. I had it bad enough that my doctor prescribed some drugs for me that are used by chemo patients. Of course, I get a second opinion on all medical advice from my favorite instant and sometimes misinformed doctor, Dr. Google. (Hey, he’s free and he makes house calls.) According to Dr. Goggle, the drug I was prescribed is indeed used for severe nausea, but it is actually in a class of anti-psychotics drugs. Yeah, my doctor gave me anti-psychotic drugs. In both pill and suppository form in case I couldn’t keep down the pills. How many people can say they have anti-psychotic suppositories in their medicine cabinet? While I enjoyed the chemical lobotomy, these pills never really helped. But, at least I feel a little less crazy.

Tim has had to step up the Mr. Mom’ing on days when I'm not functional. He even has had to help at night a few times, a domain that was exclusively mine up until now. I don't think he had any idea that Alexander still wakes up at night or that when he sleeps, he tosses and turns so violently. (Alexander unfortunately takes after me and my dad when it comes to sleeping, or the lack thereof.) Tim's is one of those creative types that sincerely requires sleep. In fact, no sleep makes TIM MAAAAAD!!!!



He says you wouldn’t like him when he’s angry… but, let’s be honest...everyone likes Tim no matter what his mood. The above is a bit of an exaggeration (I just wanted to use a picture from a previous post due to it's craptacular hilarity). Any potential Bill-Bixby-turn-Lou-Ferrigno-ian rage has been contained thanks to slipping a few anti-psychotics in his beverage. Mu-hahaha!

OK... the truth (that will surprise no one reading this blog) is that Tim is an awesome and patient dad. I think Tim and Alexander are both enjoying the extra time together. It's quite yarry. Tim has stepped in and saved Alexander from days of being contained in front of the TV (*gag*) while I hover over a toliet (*more gagging*). Good work, Tim. You deserve a thumbs up from a freakishly long thumb. Enjoy:





Even though I am not quite 14 weeks along, I’ve begun to feel little flutters. With Alexander I didn’t feel any movement until 16 weeks, but I’ve heard that you often feel things much earlier with your second. So that has been reassuring to feel that Bean has weathered this morning sickness just fine. (Or else s/he is in there going *knock knock knock* “Helllooooo? Something other than saltines, please! I’m developing a very complex cardio-vascular system in here. Need food. Hellllooooo?”)

In bubby news, Alexander just turned 14 months. I just say he is “one” in everyday conversation because, really, when does the madness end? Will I be throwing him a “Sweet 192th Month” birthday party? Anyway, he is being his amazing and hilarious self. He is enjoying bipedalism as his preferred method of locomotion, confirming beyond a shadow of doubt that he is indeed a Homo sapien. He still walks with that slightly off-kilter toddler gait that is so endearing. He’s learned the sounds of a few letters and a few animals. He’s learned a few new words. So he’ll have a lot of tricks to teach his little brother or sister someday soon.

2 comments:

Aunt Rachel said...

Seems more official now that we've read it on the blog. So, do we congratulate you first on overcoming psychosis or on pregnancy? (In-law etiquette is so complicated!) Anyway, we're excited, too - and hope the upthrowing (I was an English major) stops soon.

Jacque said...

Congratulations! how exciting for you! You know you can usually guess after the first on if it's boy or girl based on the severity of the "upthrowing". I learned it's all due to the levels of estrogen pumping through and with girls you generally doubled your levels so it's like detoxing.