Friday, May 15, 2009

Television Raised My Baby

I feel like a craptacular mom when I put Alexander in the jumperoo and play a DVD. I mean, a 9-month-old baby has no business watching TV. But during these months of pseudo-single parenthood, I hope it is forgivable. I explained to Alexander that “mommy has temporarily lowered her standard of parenting excellence.” He totally understands. If it weren’t for television, we’d never have clean dishes.

It isn't like I just put in Sanford and Son and walk away. I did research and found the baby video with the fewest pending class-action lawsuits. Nothing but the best for Alexander! Oblivious to (or forgiving of) my poor parenting, Alexander LOVES Brainy Baby videos. We have both the Right Brain and the Left Brain Brainy Baby video. I try to give them equal play so he isn’t lopsided.

He likes to talk to the video. It’s hard to capture on film, because he starts and stops randomly and often clams up when he sees the camera. But here is a little bit of what he says to his new third parent…





If it looks a little tired, it’s because he is. He’s figured out how to cruise (“walk” while holding onto furniture). All night long he was sitting up, then pulling himself up (sometimes with his eyes closed) like he wanted to practice walking. Adorable? Yes. Exhausting? Yes. Yes? Yes.


Anyway, the alternative to the jumperoo/Brainy Baby combo is the Fortress of Solitude.


I try to keep him away from both the television and the Fortress of Solitude as much as possible. I mean, who wouldn’t want to hang out with this guy??

No comments: